I have not yet updated my operating system or all of my software, and as such, I've had some difficulty installing and running JAGS/rjags. I finally got it working after two long days and thought I'd post my solution in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation. Hopefully when I do update to Snow Leopard in the next month I don't have any problems just using the most up to date versions. For now, here is a solution using:
Mac OS 10.5.8
1. Go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcmc-jags/files/ and download JAGSdist-2.2.0.dmg. Follow the normal install procedures.
2. From the same site download the rjags_2.2.0-1.tar.gz file to your desktop
3. Install the rjags package. I tried install.packages('/Users/Dan/Desktop/rjags_2.2.0-1.tar.gz', repos = NULL, type = "source") and it seemed to work, but when I typed library(rjags) I got the following error message:
Error: package 'rjags' is not installed for 'arch=x86_64'
4. If that happens, I found that installing from the Terminal with additional instructions worked like a charm. If like me you are not experienced with the Mac Terminal and command line entry, I will provide explicit instructions that I found:
- Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
- Navigate to where you downloaded the source package. In my case the desktop, so I typed, "cd /Users/Dan/Desktop/" (without the quotes). You should notice that the cursor is now indicating that directory.
- Now that it knows where to find the file, have the Terminal tell R to install the package as a 64-bit version by typing the following into the Terminal: R --arch x86_64 CMD INSTALL rjags_2.2.0-1.tar.gz